This 0.5-day course prepares executives and sponsors to monitor their project portfolios effectively in a Project Server environment.
Click here for a listing of Course Dates and for purchasing a course.
The following learning objectives are subject to customization:
- Understand how to most effectively utilize the Microsoft Project Server for monitoring projects.
- Be able to track project schedules during the project execution phase
- Be able to monitor and manage resource workloads in an enterprise environment
- Be able to collaborate with and manage project managers on schedules, budgets, documents, risks and issues
- Be able to work with the dashboards views for the project sponsor and senior management: project center views and data analysis views
- Be able to determine the right health indicators for portfolios, programs and projects
- Be aware of useful views and reports to manage portfolios or programs
- Gain insight into the reporting power of Project Server
- Know how to interpret Earned Value reports
- Be aware of implementation issues around Project Server
The following course topics are subject to customization:
Overview of the Microsoft Enterprise Project Management (EPM) Solution
- Project management, EPM and business processes
- Business benefits of Project Server
- Project, Project Server, and PWA and how they work together
- The different users in Project Server and their stake
Monitoring the project portfolios in PWA
- Assessing the health of the portfolios
- Dashboards and different possibilities for customization
Monitoring major projects in PWA
- The basis for performance measurment: Making sure that the quality of the schedules is checked
- Allowing project managers to own their time buffer or cost reserve: the mature thing to do
- Using traffic light views in the Project Center: what are solid health indicators?
- Assessing the health of projects in Tracking Gantt view in the Project Center
- Earned Value views: what to look for?
- What to ask for in the enterprise views
- Viewing resource capacity versus demand
- Viewing resource utilization
- Finding the resource constraint and maximize throughput
Risks and Issues
- Monitoring risks and issues across many projects: dashboard
- Finding and analysing tendencies in risks and issues